This is a simple lentil recipe I came up with to utilize the leftover carrots, celery and onions I have from making veggie stock, chicken stock or roast chicken. I call these “homestyle lentils” because they have a savory, wholesome roast chicken flavor.
Feel free to experiment with different quantities and seasonings. I don’t normally measure, just throw in whatever leftovers I have laying around. I’ve included approximations to get you started.
You can use canned or fresh dried prepared in this way. If you use dried lentils, about 1 cup dried will do. Just cook them before beginning the recipe as it assumes you are using cooked lentils.
- Lentils 4 cups cooked
- Leftover roast veggies 1-2 cups
- 2 cups broth or stock
- 1-2 Cloves of garlic (if there’s none in your roast veggies)
- 1 Tbs Macadamia nut oil
- 1 Tbs dried Italian herbs (I prefer Penzey's Tuscan Sunset)
- 1 t sea salt or veggie salt
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot. Add garlic if desired. Once it becomes golden, add veggies and stir over medium heat until warm.
- Add spices.
- Add lentils.
- Add broth or stock and heat until pot reaches a slow boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.